New Content for CompTIA A+ Certifications
by Sam Vollema
To reflect current workplace needs and, in line with ISO certification accreditation requirements, CompTIA has updated its widely adopted A+ certifications.
The A+ 900 series is a reflection of the current knowledge and skills needed by IT professionals.
DDLS has just updated all A+ courses to the 900 series content. So you can come and study with us, safe in the knowledge that you are receiving the most up to date content available.
To ensure you are best prepared prior to attempting the certification exams, DDLS CompTIA courses include the following:
- An official study guide based on the exam objectives
- Online videos to support learning offerred through our content provider
- Online study resources offered through our content provider
- Online practice tests
Then when you're ready to sit your exams, you can purchase an exam voucher from CompTIA Marketplace and book an exam at a Pearson VUE testing center.
Q: What’s covered on the CompTIA A+ 900 series?
A: To understand exactly what knowledge and skills are tested in the exams, please refer to the exam objectives available from CompTIA https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/a
Some of the areas covered by the new exams include:
- Security: Supporting and securing access to data by correct use of authentication, access control and encryption.
- Networking: Applying core concepts and protocols to set up and support wired and wireless networks.
- Operating Systems: Working with mobile, server and traditional operating systems including Windows, Linux, Android , and iOS.
- IT Operations: Using the basics of virtualization, cloud computing, desktop imaging and deployment to support modern IT infrastructures.
- Troubleshooting: How to use decision trees for diagnosing, resolving and documenting common hardware and software issues across a variety of devices.
- Technical Support: Applying principles of customer service to help resolve IT issues
Q: I have passed my 801 exam, do I have to complete 802 or can I take 902 instead?
A: To become A+ certified you will need to sit and pass both the 801 and 802 exams or alternatively the 901 and 902 exams. You cannot mix series (i.e sit the 801 and then the 902)
The 800 series exams will be retired end of June 2016 - so don't leave completing your certification until it's too late!
Q: How many performance-based questions (PBQs) are on the CompTIA A+ 220-901 and 220-902 exams?
A: CompTIA does not publish details on the number of performance based questions for a particular exam.
Exam objectives for the 901 and 902 are available here https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/a
Q: How do I maintain currency on my CompTIA certifications ?
A: CompTIA offers a continuing Education Program. Whilst your certification will keep you in good standing for 3 years from the date of your exam, this program facilitates extension of the certification for further three year intervals. More details are available from CompTIA https://certification.comptia.org/continuing-education/how-to-renew